Minimum requirements may vary depending on the device and browser being used.
We recommend all users ensure they are meeting the minimum requirements for BigBlueButton HTML5 prior to their first live session.
The recommended browsers are:
- Desktop/Laptop: Chrome, Firefox or Edge (latest versions)
- Mobile iOS (12.2+): Safari Mobile
- Mobile Android (6.0+): Chrome Mobile
At this time the IE and legacy EDGE browsers are not supported.
Mobile Device Users
- For data network, we recommended 4G for best results or minimum 3G Network to use audio, view presentation content, and receive screen sharing.
- For device settings, we recommend reducing device usage while connecting to BigBlueButton; close applications that may run in the background and reduce browsing activities.
Additional Recommendations for Moderator/Presenters
We recommend Moderators and Presenters connect from a desktop or laptop device whenever possible to ensure all features and functions available in BigBlueButton are accessible to the user.
IMPORTANT: at this time screen sharing is not supported from mobile devices. Presenters who wish to use the screen sharing function should use a laptop, desktop, or Chromebook device.
- For bandwidth, you must have at least 0.5 Mbits/second upstream and 1 Mbits/second downstream. To check bandwidth use, https://speedtest.net/.
- For browsers, we recommend Google Chrome, Mozilla FireFox or Microsoft Edge. You can also use Safari on Mac OS X, but you will not be able to use the screen sharing feature .
- For audio, we strongly recommend using a headset. A headset will ensure that others can hear your voice clearly and you don’t cause echo or background noise for others. You do not need to buy an expensive one -- any basic headset with a built-in microphone will work.
A laptop with a built-in webcam and microphone will be sufficient as well if you’re in a quiet area.
Additional recommendations for Moderator/Presenters:
Moderators and Presenters have the same requirements as students. For screen sharing, we recommend using FireFox, Chrome or Edge for the best results.
Screen sharing uses more bandwidth than sharing a webcam, so a good upstream bandwidth is required (at least 1 Mbits/sec) .
We recommend moderators or presenters connect through a wired network (not wireless) if possible.