When you first open Screencast-O-Matic you will be presented with previous recordings you have created with it
To create a new recording, press the “Record” button in the top-right corner of the window
From here, the software will change to a “recording mode” where you can adjust for the type of screencast you wish to create
You can select whether you wish to create a recording using:
- Your screen: This is the most common option and is suggested for recording yourself talking over a powerpoint, using software, completing an equation, etc.
- Your webcam: This may be useful if you wish to film yourself demonstrating how to perform a particular activity
- Both: This may be useful if you wish to switch between performance and activities on your computer, or to provide a personal touch to a screen-based recording
If you wish, you can set a “Max Time” which will set a specific time limit your recording. Click on the option and set a specific time which you wish to set specific time at which the recording will end.
It is recommended that you leave this at “None” in order to avoid limiting yourself around this.
You can set a specific size for your screencast if you wish. Click on the “Size” button and you can select if you want your screencast to be “Fullscreen” (your entire screen) or a smaller size
If you set the screen size to less than “Fullscreen”, you can adjust the box which appears to record a specific area of the screen. Drag the white links at the
- Top and bottom
to resize the are to be recorded
You can select the microphone that you will use to record the screencast by clicking on the “Narration” option and selecting the appropriate microphone
You can also select the “Preferences” button to set a number of options for recording
When you are ready to begin, you can press the record button to begin recording
You will be given a countdown and the recording will begin. You can pause the recording at any time by pressing the blue Pause button where the recording button previously was
If you want to, you can also press the “pen” icon next to the record button to draw on top of your recording.
This will allow you to use tools (available at the top of the recording area) to annotate your recording live
To exit the annotate mode, simply click right-click anywhere on-screen and select “Exit” (this will clear your annotations)
When you are satisfied with your recording, press the pause button.
When you have paused the recording, you can:
- Continue recording by pressing the Record button again
- View the recording you have done by pressing the “play” button
- Delete what you have recorded and start again by pressing the “trash can” icon
- Move on to edit and upload/ download your video by pressing the “Done” button.