The Chat tool can be used for real-time conversation with course users. Any user in the canvas module can participate in a chat conversation and view all chat content. Currently there is no load limit for a module chat, but larger numbers of module users may affect performance.
A user must be actively viewing the chat tool to appear in the chat list. You may consider posting chat hours in the module calendar to let students know when you are available. Or you can open Chat in a new browser window while viewing other areas in Canvas.
- To use the chat function within Canvas modules, click Chat to join the module chat.
Note: User images and profile photos do not appear to users in MTU's instance of Canvas. All users profile images will be simply represent by a silhouette of a general user (similar to the account image in the sidebar of your Canvas Interface).
- To receive audio alerts for new chat messages, toggle the New message alerts option. You will receive audio alerts if Chat is open in Canvas but is not the active browser window. You will not receive alerts if you leave Chat to view another area in Canvas.
Note: Alert capabilities may vary between browsers.
- Chat displays the number of users who are in the chat. To view a list of these users, hover your cursor over the number.
- When a user sends multiple chat messages without another user sending a message, all messages appear under the first message's time stamp. To view additional time stamps, hover your cursor over the message.
- To send a chat message, enter your message in the chat window, then click Send.
- You can delete messages in the chat from any user.
- To delete a chat message, hover your cursor over the message and click the delete icon.
Note: Deleting messages is permanent. You cannot restore a deleted message.
- Message history for each course is included in the chat. Chat history can be accessed indefinitely by loading more results and scrolling through previous course chats.
- You can also access Chat history by clicking Load more results. This button is hidden by default and can be viewed by simultaneously pressing the Shift and Tab keys (Option and Tab in Safari) on your keyboard until the button appears and is selected.